Where I work the PC’s we use have a little visual basic app the give abbreviated system information along with the asset tag number (not the serial but something generated my the inventory people) when opened. Has anybody written or found such an app for Mac OS X? Ideas? Thanks!
I knew I could quickly create such an app for him using AppleScript Objective C (ASOC), so after a few back-and-forth emails to the list, I had all the information I needed and got right to work on it. After a handful of hours spread over two days, I had the app ready and shared it with the list. I present it to you here:
Here’s a quick run-down of its features:
- On first launch, Assetter prompts you for the computer’s asset tag if it has not yet been set.
- The asset tag is stored in the computer’s NVRAM so the information is not lost when the disk is replaced or re-imaged.
- Assetter displays the following information:
- serial number
- asset tag
- size and number of drives
- ip address and hardware address of network interfaces
- The data displayed can be exported to a text file on the desktop with the push of a button.